How to get it right
If you handle personal information about individuals, you have a number of legal obligations to protect that information under the Data Protection Act 1998.
• How do I respond to a subject access request?
• Can I send personal data overseas?
• What security measures should I take to protect the personal data I hold?
• What should I do if I lose personal data?
• How can I work with the ICO to improve my processing of personal data?
Register your organisation
The Data Protection Act 1998 requires every organisation processing personal data to register with the ICO, unless they are exempt.
Guide to Data Protection
Our plain English guide to data protection contains definitions, principles and practical examples.
Our practical topic guides include anonymisation, CCTV, data sharing and online.
A full A-Z list of our data protection guidance is available in our guidance index.
Get training materials including practical toolkits, training videos and print publications.