In May 2017 the Information Commissioner announced a formal investigation into the use of data analytics for political purposes. The investigation is one of the largest of its kind and is ongoing. This page will be updated as and when developments arise.
Following publication of the above investigation, the ICO is issuing two corrections.
- On page 42-43, the report now acknowledges the contribution made by the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada and Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia to the finding regarding UK citizens. Their investigations are ongoing and they have not yet reached a conclusion.
- On page 44, the report now reflects that only the first information notice issued to UKIP on 11 October 2017 was appealed.
We are happy to make these changes.
Action taken so far
- Two notices of intent to Leave EU.
- Notice of intent to Eldon Insurance (trading as Go Skippy).
- Preliminary enforcement notice to Eldon Insurance.
Warning letters issued to 11 political parties.
- Criminal prosecution for SCL Elections Ltd.
- Enforcement Notice for Aggregate IQ.
- Notice of Intent to Emma's Diary (Lifecycle Marketing (Mother and Baby) Ltd).
- Notice of Intent to Facebook.
- Audits of main credit reference companies and Cambridge University Psychometric Centre.