Non-payment of the data protection fee trends report, Q2 2019-20
Between 1 July and 30 September 2019, we issued 340 monetary penalties to organisations that have not paid the data protection fee. Most organisations that process personal data must pay a fee and we can take action against those that don’t. We issue a monetary penalty based on the fee the organisation should have paid. Of those organisations:
- 333 organisations have been issued with a monetary penalty of £400.
- 3 organisations have been issued with a monetary penalty of £600.
- 4 organisations have been issued with a monetary penalty of £4,000.
Monetary penalties issued by sector
|Finance, insurance and credit||45|
|Retail and wholesale||20|
|Education and childcare||18|
|Land and property services||12|
|Transport and leisure||2|
Advice from the ICO
- Not sure if you need to register? Take our five minute self assessment.
- Everything you need to know about the data protection fee can be found in our guidance.
- If you receive a renewal reminder, don’t ignore it. Make sure you pay on time or let us know if you no longer need to pay. You can pay your fee now through the ICO’s website.