You have minimum standards for the creation of records and effective mechanisms to locate and retrieve records.
Ways to meet our expectations:
- You have policies and procedures to ensure that you appropriately classify, title and index new records in a way that facilitates management, retrieval and disposal.
- You identify where you use manual and electronic record-keeping systems and maintain a central log or information asset register.
- You know the whereabouts of records at all times, you track their movements, and you make attempts to trace records that are missing or not returned.
- You index records stored off-site with unique references to enable accurate retrieval and subsequent tracking.
Can you answer yes to the following questions?
- Do staff know how to classify and structure records appropriately?
- Is the asset register kept up to date?
- Have there been any issues locating records?