Getting ready for the GDPR
Data Protection law is changing on 25 May 2018 and organisations need to be ready for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The ICO has produced a package of tools and resources to help you get ready. These resources include:
- a guide to the GDPR;
- a getting ready for the GDPR self help checklist;
- a GDPR FAQs document;
- a new advice service helpline for small organisations; and
- a ‘12 steps to take now’ graphic.
Data protection – looking after the information you hold
If you hold and process personal information about your clients, employees or suppliers, you are legally obliged to protect that information. Under the Data Protection Act, you must:
- only collect information that you need for a specific purpose;
- keep it secure;
- ensure it is relevant and up to date;
- only hold as much as you need, and only for as long as you need it; and
- allow the subject of the information to see it on request.
Data protection self-assessment toolkit
Our data protection self-assessment toolkit can help you assess your compliance with the Data Protection Act and find out what you need to do to. We have a seven checklists covering a number of areas of compliance including Getting ready for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Information Security, and CCTV.
Good information handling makes good business sense, and it provides a range of benefits. You'll enhance your business's reputation, increase customer and employee confidence, and by making sure personal information is accurate, relevant and safe, save both time and money.