What action we've taken, what we're doing now and what we're doing next
Nuisance calls and spam texts are a continuing concern for consumers and a key area of action for the ICO. Report your concerns to us at ico.org.uk/concerns.
In January, we concluded the cases below:
- Alistar Green Legal Services Ltd received a monetary penalty of £80,000 and an Enforcement Notice for breaching Regulation 21 by making unlawful marketing calls to subscribers on the Telephone Preference Service.
- NWR Limited also received an Enforcement Notice compelling them to comply with Regulation 21 and 24 of the PECR.
During the month to the end of January 2019 we:
- Had 83 cases under investigation.
Our enforcement strategy also involves the disruption and obstruction of individuals responsible for the most serious breaches of the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR). This involves partnership working with other agencies including The Insolvency Service. Disqualification means that individuals cannot:
- act as a director of a company
- take part, directly or indirectly, in the promotion, formation or management of a company or limited liability partnership
- be a receiver of a company’s property
In this current financial year 2018/19, 9 directors of companies that we have issued penalties against for breaches of the PECR, have been disqualified from acting as company directors for a total of 53.5 years.