About the Guide to freedom of information
- We have recently published a FOI self assessment toolkit to help public authorities respond to Freedom of Information (FOI) requests as organisations prepare to recover from the coronavirus pandemic.
- We have recently updated the following FOI guidance;
- Section 23: security bodies
- Section 24: safeguarding national security
- How Section 23 and 24 interact
- Section 38: health and safety
- Dealing with repeat requests
- Refusing a request
- Section 27 – international relations
- Section 28 – Relations within the UK.
- MPs' correspondence.
- How we deal with complaints
- Regulation 2(1) - What is environmental information?
- Key questions for public authorities
- Circular or round robin requests
- Section 45 – Code of Practice, request handling
- Section 43 - Commercial Interests
- Charging for information under the Environmental Information Regulations
In line with ‘Openness by Design: The Information Commissioner’s strategic plan 2019/20-2021/22’, we have begun to review and update our Freedom of Information Guidance. Updates will be placed here when updated guidance is published.
This guide is for those who work for a public authority and have day-to-day responsibility for freedom of information.
It explains how to apply the Act by giving practical examples and answering frequently asked questions.