How much does it cost?

For most organisations it costs £35 – you can find out how much you will need to pay with our fee-assessment tool.

I registered online - where is my receipt?

Receipts will be emailed to you within one working day of completing your transaction. If you have not received a receipt after one working day, please contact us.

Will ICO registration and fees change next year?

There will be a number of changes implemented in 2018. Our Deputy Chief Executive, Paul Arnold explains what will change and when in his blog from 5 October 2017.

What is my organisation name and what organisation type should I choose?

You must provide the correct legal title of the individual or organisation. For example:

Sole traders: Please provide the full name of the individual, eg Anna Katherine Smith.

Partnerships: Please provide the trading name of the firm, eg Buttersfield & Co. You do not have to provide the names of the partners.

Limited or public limited companies: Provide the full name of the company, eg ABC Limited.

Groups of companies: Groups of companies cannot submit a single notification. Individual companies who are data controllers must register separately.

Schools: Provide the name of the school, eg Hazeldown School. 
In Scotland only schools in the independent sector need to register; all other schools in Scotland are covered within the relevant local authority registration.

Voluntary bodies: Provide the name by which you are known to the public.

I am self-employed (eg dentist, child-minder), an individual operating a business, or independent/tied financial adviser how should I register?

You should choose ‘sole trader’ and provide your full name as the data controller, not the organisation or practice name. You can provide any trading names to your registration further on in the process.


I have a number of organisations with the same information – how should I register?

Contact the registration helpline on 0303 123 1113 to discuss how we can help.

I am the principal of a practice and also have a limited company – how should I register?

This depends on who owns and has responsibility and control for the information processed eg patient records. If the limited company has been put in place purely for tax purposes then it is usually the principal that registers.

I have a limited company with numerous practices – do I need to register each location?

If all the practices are part of the same legal entity then one registration would cover all of the sites, as long as each practice is not trading as a separate organisation and the limited company determines why and how personal data is used.

Can an agency register on my behalf?

There are some private companies who offer to register your company with us for data protection, often charging more than the standard £35 cost. Be aware that these agencies have no official standing or powers under the Data Protection Act, and there is no connection between them and the ICO - we recommend you register with us directly.

We are a not-for-profit organisation - do I need to register?

You do not have to register if organisation was established for not-for-profit making purposes and does not make a profit or if your organisation makes a profit for its own purposes, as long as the profit is not used to enrich others. You must:

  • only process information necessary to establish or maintain membership or support; 
  • only process information necessary to provide or administer activities for people who are members of the organisation or have regular contact with it; 
  • only share the information with people and organisations necessary to carry out the organisation’s activities. Important - if individuals give you permission to share their information, this is OK (you can still answer ‘yes’); and
  • only keep the information while the individual is a member or supporter or as long as necessary for member/supporter administration

I am a multi academy trust (MAT) – how should I register?

Under the multi academy trust arrangements, the MAT is responsible for the activities of all the schools in the MAT, even though some functions may have been delegated to local Heads of School or Local Governing Bodies. Ultimate responsibility lies with the MAT. Providing the schools and academies within the MAT do not have any legal status separate from that of the MAT, the MAT is the legal entity responsible for the processing of personal data by the schools and the academies with the MAT. The MAT would be the data controller for the processing and is the entity subject to DPA registration obligations.

If the schools or academies within the MAT are not separate legal entities, we also recommend the schools or academies within the MAT are shown as trading names on the MAT entry. It is important that parents and children to see who is responsible for processing of personal data.

I’m a childminder - why do I have to register?

The Data Protection Act requires all businesses to register unless exempt. If you are processing personal information electronically for the provision of childcare - including taking photographs of the children in your care using a digital camera - then you must register with us.

I am the principal of a dental practice – do I need to register?

If the principal of a practice has responsibility and control of the patient records in the practice, they would be required to register.

I am a medical/ dental practice manager – do I need to register?

In general, a self-employed practice manager is usually a data processor as they do not determine how the personal information is processed. They will usually act on instruction from the data controller, ie the principal of the practice, when processing personal information. If you are an employee you will be covered by your employer’s registration and you will not be required to have your own registration.

My dental practice is a partnership – do all partners require separate registrations?

If you're in a partnership and each partner is responsible for the processing and security of their own patient information, which they would take with them if they left the practice, then each partner would require a separate registration.

I am a dental associate or dental hygienist – do I need to register?

It is not possible to give a definitive answer as there are a number of arrangements between dentists and dental hygienists, but there are a number of questions that might clarify whether a dental hygienist is a data controller and needs to register:

  •    Are you responsible for the control and security of patient records, and do you have other responsibilities associated with the data?
  •    Do you have a patient list separately from the practice in which you treat patients that would follow you if you left?
  •    Do you treat the same patient at different practices?
  •    If a complaint was made by a patient, or data was lost, would you be legally responsible for dealing with the matter?

 If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the above questions, you are likely to be a data controller and will need to register with the ICO.