This guidance aims to help you if you want to complain about how a media organisation has treated you. It includes information on
- when you can complain to the ICO, and how to make a complaint
- the other organisations you can complain to, when you can complain to them and how to complain to them, and
- how to make a legal claim against a media organisation.
Terms used in this guidance
Who can I complain to if I have a concern about a media organisation?
- I want to complain about the way a media organisation has handled my personal data
- I want compensation or to take action through the courts
- I want to complain about the BBC
- I want to complain about a programme broadcast on TV, radio or a video-on-demand service
- I want to complain about a member of IPSO
- I want to complain about a member of IMPRESS
Complaining to the ICO about a media organisation
- What can I complain to the ICO about?
- How do I raise my concern with the ICO?
- What will the ICO do with my complaint?
- Do media organisations always have to comply with every aspect of data protection law?
- What powers of enforcement does the ICO have?
Complaining to the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)
Complaining to the Independent Monitor for the Press (IMPRESS)
Complaining about a media organisation that is not a member of IPSO or IMPRESS
Complaining about the the BBC
- What can I complain to the BBC about?
- What are the BBC Editorial Guidelines?
- Do I always need to complain directly to the BBC before complaining to Ofcom?
- How can I raise my concern with the BBC?
- What can I do if I disagree with the BBC’s decision about my complaint?
Complaining to Ofcom
- What is Ofcom?
- What can I complain to Ofcom about?
- How do I raise my concern with Ofcom about non-BBC content?
- When can I complain to Ofcom about the BBC?
- How do I raise my concern with Ofcom about the BBC?
Taking your case to court and claiming compensation
- Do I have to go to court to get compensation for a breach of data protection law?
- What do I need to do before I take a claim to court?
- How do I take my case to court if I cannot reach an agreement?
- How much compensation will the court award me if my claim is successful?
- Can the Information Commissioner help me with my court case?
- Can a media organisation stop any legal proceedings I bring?
- Are there any alternatives to taking my case to court?
- IPSO arbitration scheme
- IMPRESS arbitration scheme
Asking someone to act on your behalf
- Who can make a complaint to the ICO on my behalf?
- Can I ask someone to deal with an organisation on my behalf?
- Can I appoint a representative to help me take my case to court?